Friday, March 22, 2013

REVERIE-Her biggest competition

With a name like Reverie (rev·er·ie: a state of dreamy meditation or fanciful musing) her stage presence, beauty and rhymes are sure to put you into a daydream. She grew up writing poetry and at the age of 17 she wanted to switch things up with her form of expression by stepping into the booth. At that time she just wanted to get things off her chest, she had no idea so many people would gravitate to her words. Six years later she is wrapping up her Stepping Stones Tour and has had the chance to rock the stage at Paid Dues. She took some time out to chill with us and talk about graff, being a femcee and her newest track.


PM: How do you feel about other femcees and who are you feeling?

Reverie: I feel good about all the other femcee's that are coming up. I will embrace the word femcee. I don't understand why women get so mad when they say femcee. I think it's cute. I embrace all the women that are coming up. A couple of years ago I was the only one that's my age that was making noise so now, within the last year, all these girls are coming up and I like it a lot. I want more women to do it that way we can be out there like we should. I think women have a lot of soul and a lot to say. It's hard as a woman in the scene to say what I want to say and do what I want to do because everyone's pointing the finger.

PM: What negativity have you experienced because you're a femcee?

REVERIE: People always say 'you shouldn't say things like that because you're a girl' or 'women shouldn't say things like that, you have to represent all women , you have to be a certain way'. I'm not going to pretend to be someone that I'm not. I'm gonna represent what I am and what I went through regardless if it's going to impress somebody or offend somebody. They're always saying I'm not ladylike but I don't think any girl that's rapping is ladylike. You have to have an edge or you're going to get stepped on.

Guys hate on girls that are coming up; not all guys but a lot. Guys are intimidated by strong women. Anywhere in the world but especially in the rap field. If you don't like my music then cool but don't deny what I'm doing. Because I know what I'm doing. I know I'm making moves and no body's going to tell me that I'm not doing something. It's funny because on my Facebook like 1 out of 20 hate comments will be from a women but 99% of it is from men.


PM: What was it like playing at Paid Dues?

Reverie: It was a shock to be invited first of all. It was crazy. I was at Rock the Bells and I was talking to Murs. Murs was doing a live stream one day and people were asking when are you going to put Reverie on Paid Dues? He said when she makes an album. I had just been dropping mix tapes and shit. Then I finally made an album in 2011. My first album. Then I went to Rock the Bells and I saw Murs and he said you made your album. Alright you're ready I'm going to put you on Paid Dues. I was drunk and walked away with a big smile! The actual experience of being there was cool! I was the first act and I didn't think about doing a sound check because I thought oh it's Paid Dues it's going to sound good but the sound sucked. It didn't matter though we still rocked it. The crowed still felt the vibe, the energy, the rhythm and the performance. Louden was my hype man. He had never performed before and he just got up there and ripped it like he has been doing that shit for years!

PM: How has graff influenced your music?

REVERIE: It influenced my music a lot. One thing I would like to point out is it taught me to stay humble because when I was in high school a lot of people didn't like me. My first fight was for one of my best friends that I had. To make a long story short the bitch I fought was part of the group of girls that fought everybody. They would get in fights all the time. So I made enemies with the wrong person right off the bat. I was always getting picked on and getting in fights but then when I was in 10th grade I started bombing a lot all over L.A. All of a sudden everyone was on my nuts. All of the girls were cool with me everyone was giving me props oh I see your bomb everywhere! Then it got to my head. I was so conceded for a while. I was acting too cool for my friends that weren't writing. I didn't really notice it. I was reflecting on myself a few months after all that shit was getting to me I thought damn I'm acting like a bitch with all of my friends right now because all of this graff fame is getting to my head. Luckily I learned that when I was young not to let anything get to your head. One thing that I'm so grateful for is that graff taught me to stay humble and to always remember who you came up with. Never betray your friends. I'm very glad I experienced that. Graff has taught me so many things about rapping. How you gotta go hard or go home. About how you have to stay on top of beef. All my graff mindset I use in the rap game. If someone is talking shit about me then I'm gonna fuck them up when I see them. I'm not just gonna walk away and I'm not going to let someone shit on my name without there being some repercussions. I just carried it over.

PM:  Do you have any favorite writers?

REVERIE: I really like FAFI from France. I have tattoos of her shit all over my body. I also love PLANT TREES. He bombs Christmas trees. He's one of my favorite writers, he's from the bay. He's one of the people who made me really start doing graffiti. I used to see him up sometimes over here. I was so inspired by his stuff. I also really like REVOK.

PM: You just recently dropped a track with Atlast are there any plans in the future for an album?

REVERIE: With Atlast? No. Just collabs but no album. I'm not really looking to make a collaberation album with anybody right now. I just really don't have time for it.

PM: What about for yourself?

REVERIE: Yes. I just don't know when and I don't like saying dates because I'm so bad with dates.

                                  

PM: What kind of message do you want your music to convey?

REVERIE: I don't know. People ask me that a lot and I don't really know how to answer it. I think I'm so young and confused about a lot of things that I talk about. So a lot of my tracks I usually don't feel the same about that topic a year later. I guess it would be to be yourself and strive for happiness in life. I want everybody out there to understand that life has ups and downs regardless of who you are, where your from or what your going through and that everything will get better with time.

PM: What are some of the challenges you face being an independent artist?

REVERIE: The challenges are never ending. Finding a platform to promote yourself, maintaining your image, maintaining your audience.  It's hard also to be happy with my own music and what I'm talking about and at the same time impressing my fans and impressing new listeners. It's kind of hard to find a middle point. Sometimes I feel like my music suffers because I'm always worrying about what other people are going to think. Is this better than my last track? Is this better than my last album? Old listeners aren't going to like it because I'm not talking about this and my moms not going to like this and my dads not going to like that. It's just hard. I see myself as my biggest competition.

PM: How do you feel being this new generation at the forefront representing Hip Hop now?

REVERIE: It's a lot of pressure to me. I don't know how anyone else feels who has a big audience. I don't like being in the spot light. I don't like being on covers of shit. I don't like being the headliner. I don't like being the face. That's why I like graffiti so much because I got to tell everybody fuck you but nobody could see my face. I got to express  myself but without anyone knowing who I was. That's still how I feel about music. Like I said, everything carried over. When I started doing this I wasn't going to do it for a career. I didn't ever think I was going to get paid for it or have a bunch of people show up to a show for me. I like it but I'm not very comfortable with it yet. I actually want to be a ghost writer.

PM: Any last words or shout outs?

REVERIE: Just thank you guys for having me. Shout out to everyone that's been supporting me throughout the years. My PIN UP GIRLS and LA.

Interviewed by: Desmond
Writen by: Corrin

                                       CLICK HERE TO WATCH SCRIMAGE FT REVERIE




click to LIKE Reverie
http://www.reveriepug.com/
Booking/collab info LOUDENBEATS@YAHOO.COM


1 comment: